Thursday, March 29, 2007

Holy Trinity, Blythburgh

My dad has been looking for a particular photo album in his room, which has lead to the discovery of several albums which were not what he was looking for but which turned out to be of some interest. They appear to contain photos and postcards put together by my grandmother, Edith Snowling Allen. The problem is that there are pages and pages of photos with no names, dates, or any other notations. There are also several pages of postcards. Apparently 100 years ago, when one sent a postcard, it was normal not to write anything but the recipient's address on the back. Nor did the publisher of the postcard feel inclined to give a description on the back of where the picture was taken. Some of the cards, however, are marked - and come from places as varied as "Beaverhead County High School, Dillon, Montana," "St. John's Bridge, Portland, Oregon," and "Market Place and High Street, Southwold." Some dates can still be made out from the cancellation stamps. But the one that really got me excited was a postcard sent to my grandmother in 1905. The picture on the front is of the inside of a church. The writing across the top of the picture says (helpfully) "This is the interior. Write soon. Hannah." At the bottom of the picture the same hand wrote, "Best wishes and Much love from HS." Aunt Hannah was my grandmother's younger sister, who was probably around 2-3 years old when my grandmother left England in the 1890's. The card is addressed to Mrs. Allen, 830 First Street, Salt Lake City, Utah: U.S.A. and posted with a One Penny stamp from Southwold. I looked more closely at the photo and felt I had seen the church before. So I got out the album of pictures I had taken on my trip to England 3 years ago - and there it was! The very first church at which we stopped after our arrival in England was Holy Trinity, Blythburgh. There was no particular reason to stop at this church, except that it has a really lovely Norman tower and the flowers in the churchyard were just beginning to bloom. Imagine my surprise when I realized a photo of the same church had been sent to my grandmother 100 years prior to my random stop there on my way to Lowestoft! I will post some of my photos on my flicker, but if anyone is interested I recommend the website www.suffolkchurches.co.uk/Blythburgh.htm. Makes me want to go back!

1 comment:

Clark said...

I like to read the title of this entry not as a location, but as if Robin were saying it to Batman in a time of crisis: "Holy Trinity, Blythburgh! The Joker's taken over the batcave!"