Thursday, December 14, 2006

First Witter

Inspired by my nieces' blogs, I thought I might join the age of blog and put my witterings on the web. There will be the occasional poem or photo, but mostly just witterings of an old woman. As I become more skilled at navigating the site perhaps I will add links to other blogs of interest.
Although Wittering is officially the name of a place in Cambridgeshire, I take the name in its more colloqial usage, meaning odd rants of useless information, common nattering, or, according to one dictionary, "to talk at length about nothing." In short, "wittering" seems a much more appropriate name than "blog."
With that in mind, here are a few random stats to ponder:
1. It takes approximately one minute of cocoa picking to make a treat-sized Hershey cocolate bar.
Treat-sized? How many man hours does my chocolate consumption generate per year? And that is just the picking of the beans - how long does it take to process? Perhaps if I worked as hard as those who produce the chocolate I could afford the calories. While we are on the subject of exercise:
2. The Alaska Zoo paid $150,000 to build a treadmill for its 8,000-pound elephant last year.
So far, the elephant has not used the treadmill. Does this mean the zoo needs to shell out more money for a personal trainer? Who will make the elephant run? And is this a good thing? I'm just saying....
3. It is estimated that tourism will add $26,000,000 to Rwanda's economy net year.
This is a remarkable number, but I wonder how it compares with other tourist destinations. Surely the tourism profits from popular U.S. sites are tremendous. Who exactly vacations in Rwanda? Is it a more popular destination since the filming of the movie, "Hotel Rwanda"? Or less popular?

1 comment:

Shanny said...

This was an excellent post. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Glad to see you have a blog!